Back in the late 1700's, Cornish, New Hampshire was known simply as "Mast Camp" as it was a shipping point along the Connecticut River for the strong, tall and straight white pine trees used as Navy ship masts. However, Cornish -- named after a Royal Navy captain -- really came into popularity as the 19th century "discovery" of sculptor Augustus St. Gaudens.
Soon, through St. Gaudens' connections to the Art Students League of New York and a convenient passenger train to Windsor, Cornish became a destination for New York and Boston artists, writers, politicians and bon-vivantes attracted to the community's peaceful farms and riverbanks along the Connecticut River. Those banks and open pastures continue to yield not just seasonal crops but wide open views to Vermont and Mt. Ascutney.
Social Media Widget